Saturday 19 October 2013

Apple Day With Our Little Buddies


This week's highlight was definitely Apple Day on Thursday, when we joined our Little Buddies in Division 8 once again to help them learn about apples, draw apples, count seeds, chart different colours of apples, and prepare apples for apple sauce. Everyone enjoyed seeing their little buddy again and being a friend and mentor to our younger students, and I could not have been more proud of the boys and girls of Division 4. Well done everyone; the apple sauce turned out very well and together with the vanilla ice cream we enjoyed a yummy treat at the end of the day!
 On Thursday, we also participated in a province wide Shake Out Drill as part of our earthquake preparedness program. All of the students of Division 4 took this important drill very seriously and were able to follow instruction and evacuate the building in a timely manner. Good job everyone!
In Math, we are moving on to a new unit that reviews adding and subtracting of 3-digit and 4-digit numbers. I am planning to give a second quiz on Tuesday, October 29th. Please remind your son or daughter to review their notes and assignments prior to the quiz. I will also add some links to online resources and math games, which might be helpful to your child as well as you in support of their learning. Please check back frequently as I will be posting more great links on this blog that will help with homework and practice at home!

The students of Division 4 wrote a Turkey Diary this week, in which they reflected on a turkey's experiences in the days following Thanksgiving. There were some pretty humorous and insightful writing pieces, and I thought you might enjoy an excerpt of Fraser's Diary of a Turkey:
DAY 1 - Saturday, October 12
I am so scared. Today is the day the farmer picks his best turkey. I am trying to look my worst. Oh, oh, here comes the farmer... Oh no! He picked...ME!!!! No, no ,no this can't happen! HELP!! SOS! SAAVE MEEE!
DAY 2 - Sunday, October 13
Ewwww, these dirty dishes smell! Sitting on the counter is not pleasant. I am tight to the cutting board and the farmer is going to be here any minute with his carving knife. Wait a minute.... almost got it... I'm free! Have to run and hide!
DAY 3 - ...
DAY 4 - ...
Day 5 - Thursday, October 16
I feel bad for the farmer. No turkey on Thanksgiving! I 'm going to bring him a chicken instead. I found the fattest chicken. (...) I dropped the chicken on the porch and watched as he opened the door. He took the chicken and said, "Thanks, mystery person!'.

Not bad for a grade 4 student, isn't it?


 


No comments:

Post a Comment